Who knew you could improve a dark chocolate cupcake? Our friend Jamie at Applesauce Inn Bed & Breakfast sure does! Whip up a batch of this decadent dessert, with a surprise of Benjamin Twiggs Cherry Berry Jam inside to impress your family and friends. Speaking of impressing.. check out their beautiful B&B in wonderful Bellaire, Michigan. And if you think these cupcakes look good.. wait until you see what she whips up for breakfast!
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 3/4 cup + 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cups dark unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup canola oil vegetable oil would also be fine
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs lightly beaten (preferably room temperature)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup hot coffee (this is a MUST)
- 1 jar Benjamin Twiggs Cherry Berry Jam
Classic Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter, softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 to 4 cups powdered sugar (I prefer my frosting less sweet, so I use 3 cups)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350F and line muffin tin with cupcake liners (or lightly grease and flour).
In large bowl, whisk together sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
Stir in canola oil and buttermilk, stirring until combined.
Add eggs, one at a time, stirring after each addition.
Stir in vanilla extract.
Add hot coffee and stir until the mixture is evenly combined (it will be a thin batter. Batter will be very thin, not to worry!!!
Fill prepared muffin tin cavities 2/3 of the way full and bake at 350F for 18-22 minutes (use the toothpick test to check).
Once cupcakes are cool, scoop out (I use a melon ball scoop) a section in the middle and fill with the Cherry Berry Jam, add cream cheese frosting over the top!
Using an electric mixer, beat together the butter and the cream cheese. Slowly add the powdered sugar and vanilla, then beat until smooth and well-combined.